I have taken a one week break from my current read, The Case of the One Eyed Witness and have instead been reading a bit easier of a read which has intrigued me. Right Behind You by Gail Giles is a teen social issue book. I don't often read these, but thought that it might be interesting to pick up and read for a few days. The basic plot line is about a young boy named Kip, who is provoked one warm summer day in the Alaskan wilderness, to do the unthinkable, burn a child. He is at a difficult time in his life, his mother has passed away, and he is on bitter terms with his father who is barely getting the two by. It just so happens that on one day when he is bickering with his father, his pier, Bobby comes by to his house to show off his new baseball mitt, he then proceeds to brag about it, and eventually gets Kip to feel very jealous. Kip, not knowing what he is doing, throws lighter fluid on Bobby and takes a lighter which he tosses at Bobby, and he burst into flames. Bobby dies soon after, and Kip faces the long road of facing court, and rebuilding his life in a center for criminal children.
So far in my reading this story, I find it very sad and depressing, which is my leading factor to not reading social issue books, but also entertaining. I believe the authors main goal in writing the story is to touch on the difficulties of changing your life, and moving on from your past experiences. This is very difficult for Kip in the story, and is a good analogy for victims of such horrible events. Not just the one who gets physically hurt, like Bobby did, but the one who is mentally hurt, Kip. Bobby's pain ended when he died, yet Kips continues long after the horrific incident, and most likely on through the rest of his life. He always has to live with the burden of killing a child, and the guilt that comes with it. I believe the key to avoiding such a life of guilt and shame, is to let it be in the past, and move on to the future, this is an incredibly hard task to achieve, we will always be the same person, and carry the memories of the past, but sometimes it is best to let the bad ones go, learn from your mistakes, and move on to the future. Some might say that the inflictor of the crime, in this case Kip, should always live with the guilt, but I say not. For if this person lives with the guilt, then their life will be ruined and they will never want to enjoy the goods of life. Isn't it better for only one life to be lost by death, then one lost by death and another lost by shame? I look forward to continue to read this intriguing story and analyzing more of the authors purpose.
wow. thats really meaningfull. i agree with you when you say that kip would have a lot of problems after the burning (thats what i'll call the incident) and that bobby's suffering would have stopped when he died. I also think that bobby had it coming to brag about a new baseball mit in front of a child whose mother died and father barly spent time with him.
ReplyDeleteWOW, this book is really deep. I don't know how you could read a book so depressing. First of all, who burns their friend for having a nice baseball glove? I also agree with Ishrak that Bobby had it coming, but still, he doesn't deserve to get burned to death.
ReplyDeleteI kinda think it's not really Kip fault entirely since his life was messed up along with his mind, so he should really see a shrink and shouldn't be punished too much, especially since Bobby invoked(is that the right word) him. And now he has even more things in his head and that could lead to suicide so he really needs help so I think he is the victim here.